Point of Sale (POS) systems play pivotal roles in business and when they’re outdated they can start causing major issues. If you’ve been putting off upgrading your system due to the idea of hassle, the fact is that the benefits of upgrading your system far outweigh the hassle.
Upgrading can improve your customer experience, save you time, and help the overall effectiveness of your business processes. Your POS system is vital to sales, inventory, and other operational factors (Small Business Trends).
So how do you know if you’ve outgrown your POS system? Here are some key characteristics of an outdated POS system:
- Lack of integration. If your system doesn’t integrate with other business tools then you’re missing out on being able to streamline the flow of data.
- Does Not Support Multiple Stores. As your business grows you’ll want a system that can grow with you. Your POS system should be able to manage inventory for multiple stores. If it can’t, it’s time to switch.
- Poor operational performance. If your checkout processes are taking longer than they should or you’re having to tinker with your system just to get it to work, than it’s time to upgrade your system.
- No customer loyalty tools. If your system doesn’t have built-in customer loyalty program tools, then it’s just creating more work for your employees. You’ll want to get a system that has a built-in customer loyalty program that allows you to assign rewards points to enrolled customers for every dollar they spend with you.
- Reporting lacks essential details. There is no point in tracking purchases if you can’t track all of the important details that impact your business. Details like CRM, finance, coupons, and more. A good POS system will give you real-time data and compile comprehensive reports that will help you make informed decisions for your business.
- Lack of mobility. In today’s fast-paced world, you’ll want a POS system that can keep up with the times. This means mobility and flexibility. With a Mobile Point of Sale (mPOS) you can sell from anywhere without compromising functionality (Erply). You’ll also want reliable connectivity to ensure that your mPOS works properly and doesn’t lose connection.
- Insufficient payment methods. Can your POS system accept gift cards? Apple Pay? If not, then you’ll want to get a system that can work with digital transactions as they are quickly becoming the norm.
If you’re dealing with two or more of the issues listed above, it’s time to upgrade your POS system. Thought it may take a little time to get used to your new system, it’s better to upgrade as soon as possible so that your business can start benefiting and stop losing time and money.